Improved Social Housing in Temple Bar
Project in brief
This Victorian courtyard was built in 1891 by the Dublin Artisan's Dwelling Company, and features two storeys of apartments over ground floor retail (mostly restaurants) over basement. The residents are the last indigenous residential community in Temple Bar and the courtyard is the only green space in the vicinity. The design team were charged with developing a selection of alternative schemes for upgrading the residential units, and bringing this fine Victorian development up to modern standards whilst respecting its historic character and Protected Structure status.
Architects: Downey MacConville
Value: €26k (2009)
- Visual Inspection
- Structural Assessment
- Feasibility Study
- Flood Risk Assessment
|Download Project PDF|
- Visual inspection of the structures and report on their structural condition (listing structural defects and probable causes, and assessing safe floor loadings etc.)
- Structural assessment of each of the team's alternative schemes for increasing usable space, with particular focus on the impact on the existing historic structure. The schemes included basement extensions, additional storeys and new build structures
- Overall drainage review, including a site specific flood risk assessment for the proposed schemes, and suggestions for sustainable drainage systems for efficient environmental protection
- Production of a powerpoint presentation to illustrate the existing structural condition and implications of the various schemes to the Client
Engineering New Buildings
For more than 30 years, we at LeeMcCullough have been providing structural and civil engineering services for new buildings in the commercial, education, leisure, retail, and residential sectors.
Key aspects of our services are:
- An open, collaborative, philosophy providing engineering design solutions that are appropriate for the specific project, will support architectural creativity and are cost-effective in delivery.
- A close working relationship with all parties involved; effective team participation; and knowledgeable and experienced integration with other service providers.
- A professional commitment to our client's projects; delivering a flexible and quality service, cost efficient and on time.
At LeeMcCullough we provide senior, experienced personnel supported by the required resources, to lead our involvement in your project, demonstration of our commitment to provide excellent client service with quality / innovative design solutions.