Impressive New Centre on former Press office site
Project in brief
This large steel-framed structure with adjoining Georgian building occupies a prominent position on Burgh Quay. Formerly occupied by the Irish Press, the building was developed as the new National Immigration Centre.
The project included the refurbishment of the basement, complete with space-saving car lift; the infilling of several storeys of floor formerly occupied by the huge printing press; the addition of three set back floors; and the refurbishment of the Georgian House. The building was totally re-clad in stone work and glazed curtain walling.
13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin
Architects: Henry J Lyons
Value: € 10m (2004)
- Basement refurbishment with car lift
- Floor infilling - post printing presses
- Addition of three new floors
- Refurbishment of Georgian House
|Download Project PDF|
The removal of a heavily loaded (230 tonnes) basement column for vehicular access required the installation of twin 305UC283 (grade 50) grid jumper beams. Increased loading from the additional flooring and change of use, necessitated the strengthening of existing piled foundations. This was achieved by additional low headroom mini-piles on RC ringbeams secured to the existing pilecaps. The construction of a new lift shaft serving the basement required the temporary removal of two heavily loaded pilecaps and their subsequent reinstatement at a lower level.
Engineering New Buildings
For more than 30 years, we at LeeMcCullough we have been providing structural and civil engineering services for new buildings in the commercial, education, leisure, retail and residential sectors.
Key aspects of our services are:
- An open, collaborative, philosophy providing engineering design solutions that are appropriate for the specific project, will support architectural creativity and are cost-effective in delivery.
- A close working relationship with all parties involved; effective team participation; and knowledgeable and experienced integration with other service providers.
- A professional commitment to our client's projects; delivering a flexible and quality service, cost efficiently and on time.
At LeeMcCullough we provide senior, experienced personnel supported by the required resources, to lead our involvement in your project, demonstration of our commitment to provide excellent client service with quality / innovative design solutions.